4.10.2011

MVUF New Map

I've developed a new map and I'm feeling pretty happy with the direction its going in. It was important to start with sketching out the areas involved so i know where everything is. 


Then I printed off a number of large scale copies of the farm taken from google earth, so its literally a real-size satellite arial-view copy of the farm itself. I then took 2 massive sheets of tracing paper and sketched the main sections out on the map, in rough-ish forms, so trees (outlines), fields, buildings, the river etc, and once that was done, over a lightbox I transferred those images onto paper, scanned them in, then set about tracing it on illustrator.




The trees are a partiular problem so for now I'm just using sets of circles to give the tree effect.


Et voila! An almost finished version. Barring a few alterations and changes I think this is a winner, for 2 main reasons: 1) its simple. It's clear and uncomplicated. And 2) its not too clinical that its unfriendly or stale. I think I struck a nice balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment